Universal-Studios

When Universal Studios released UNIVERSAL MONSTERS: THE ESSENTIAL COLLECTION in 2012, it was a welcome sight for horror fans who wanted to own these classic films in HD. For me personally, I held on to the LEGACY COLLECTION DVD’s the studio released in 2004, because of the fact that each of those contained the entire franchises for each Famous Monster. Well, it looks like Universal are beginning to roll out those individual series on Blu-ray. Universal will issue FRANKENSTEIN: COMPLETE LEGACY COLLECTION and THE WOLF MAN: COMPLETE LEGACY COLLECTION on Blu-ray on September 13th, and we have art and details to share with you.

frankenstein_legacy

• 100 Years at Universal: Unforgettable Characters

wolfman_legacy

THE WOLF MAN: COMPLETE LEGACY COLLECTION

Disc One – The Wolf Man:

• Monster by Moonlight
  • The Wolf Man: From Ancient Curse to Modern Myth
  • Pure in Heart: The Life and Legacy of Lon Chaney, Jr.
  • He Who Made Monsters: The Life and Art of Jack Pierce

• 100 Years of Universal: The Lot
  • 100 Years at Universal: Unforgettable Characters

Disc Four – Werewolf of London:

• Werewolf of London Theatrical Trailer

Disc Four – She-Wolf of London:

• She-Wolf of London Theatrical Trailer

Looking over the lists that Universal released for each set, a couple things stood out. Number one, the list for the FRANKENSTEIN collection seems to omit the third film in the series, SON OF FRANKENSTEIN, although that film is said to be included [EDITOR’S NOTE: some sources are saying it’s on disc #2]. Second, THE WOLF MAN collection features not one, not two, but four films that are already going to be on the FRANKENSTEIN set! Not only that, Universal also plucked HOUSE OF DRACULA out of the Count’s franchise and stuck it on both releases!

I’ve give Universal credit for including the horror comedy masterpiece ABBOTT AND COSTELLO MEET FRANKENSTEIN… Oh yeah, that is on both of these, as well.

In my opinion, not exactly a good start for rolling out the LEGACY series on Blu-ray. I know THE WOLF MAN isn’t one of the bigger franchises in the Famous Monsters pantheon, but I think it would be a waste of money to buy both of these sets [at full price]. And it makes me uneasy how they will go about releasing the other series. I think I’m much better off keeping my LEGACY DVDs and getting UNIVERSAL MONSTERS: THE ESSENTIALS COLLECTION and ABBOTT AND COSTELLO MEET FRANKENSTEIN on Blu.

That’s just me, but what about you guys? Will you be picking either of these up or sticking with what you’ve got? Let us know what you think in the comment section.

About Josh Obershaw

Josh Obershaw is a film enthusiast, horror fan, rock fan, wrestling fan, blogger and amateur artist. Follow him on Twitter at @DoctorSplatter.

, , , , , , , , ,

16 Responses to Universal to Release Famous Monsters Legacy Collections on Blu-ray. FRANKENSTEIN and THE WOLF MAN First Up.

1. Brett Gallman July 22, 2016 at 1:50 pm #

I’m kind of miffed about all the crossover titles, too, but I’m justifying the upgrade in my mind because those old Legacy discs (double-sided DVD-18s, yikes) are notoriously glitchy. Same reason I’m going to upgrade Universal’s Hammer set to Blu later this fall.

2. Scott Birchler July 22, 2016 at 11:23 pm #

I’m definitely going to buy one of these two. Right now I’m leaning towards the Wolf Man set.

3. michael dobey July 24, 2016 at 4:12 pm #

I don’t care if they double the movies. they can put more on a disc. so you have the same movies. you’d buy the set anyways. What I want is for them to get the creature set out , with the two films provided in 3d. because that was the way they were released. flatheads can watch them in 2d if they want. but that’s a must.

4. RICK D HAWKINS August 23, 2016 at 1:42 pm #

Yep, Already pre-paid for these. i too have the dvd Legacy sets of all, and can’t wait to upgrade. te dvd sets are a little glitchy and they really do not look so well on a 65 inch screen, I am hoping these will be great. A & C Meet Frankenstein is a plus, it means I can get rid of the single that I already have. I just hope they include some of the other A & C stuff that pertains to universal monsters…:)

5. Tom Bayne September 14, 2016 at 4:55 pm #

I have all of the Legacy DVDs from 2004 & the Essential Collection on bluray. I have just ordered the Frankenstein collection on bluray but am hesitant about the Wolfman collection because of the 4 duplications. Rather than another big set on bluray I would rather see the films issued individually as single discs at a reasonable price.

6. John Sullivan September 22, 2016 at 5:12 pm #

Have these films been restored, or have they simply been moved into bluray?
    We know of the opening title cut that exists in Frankenstein meets the Wolf Man, as well as the large scratch that appears in a scene of the full moon.
    I was hoping that a full restoration and bluray presentation in one single set of these titles…not a repackaging of the Legacy Sets…..am hugely disappointed.
    I will hold back and wait for several reviews of the picture and audio quality of these before spending any cash.
    And yes, any set w/o Son of Frankenstein included, is a joke.. hopefully this was just a typo.

• RICK D HAWKINS September 22, 2016 at 6:11 pm #

Son of Frankenstein is there, I don’t know of any title cut problems on this disc or any scratch across a full moon and I was watching fairly closely. A time index would help…

7. RICK D HAWKINS September 22, 2016 at 6:02 pm #

I picked up both of these on release, and let me tell you it was so worth it. I have the essentials and the 6 original dvd sets (I will be selling all of them), these are a firm upgrade and well worth it

8. GH October 4, 2016 at 4:48 pm #

I got the Frank Set, have watched Son Of Frank so far – looks absolutely beautiful! I already have the Blu Ray set with all the Main titles, so I already own Wolfman, was going to just see if I could just get the missing films in my collection on a cheap BR – in the case of WM, those are Werewolf of and She-Wolf of London – alas, no separate BRs of those, HOWEVER, the price on Amazon for the Wolfman BR set has dropped a full 1/3 since release, so IMO, $20 is worth it if I want to own the two “London” films.

Same goes for Dracula, whenever it comes out, all I will really need are Son Of Drac and Drac’s Daughter. Hopefully the price for that one follows suit! If I could only choose one set I’d rather have the Drac extra films than the London Wolf films, but luckily both are affordable.

Hope this info helps someone.

9. Jason October 4, 2016 at 8:33 pm #

Amazon has both sets for under $20…so the duplicates don’t bother me that much… although I’m guessing once the Dracula set comes out it will be triplicates of some. I wonder what the logic is behind that.

10. Larry October 12, 2016 at 8:36 pm #

The reason for the duplicates are for people that don’t want to buy all of the sets, but would like to own the complete collection of their favorite monster(s). If someone only wanted the Dracula movies, they may have had to buy other sets to get all of the Dracula appearances if they weren’t included in one set. Buying all six of the sets (seven if you bought the complete box set) they released did cause collectors to have multiples of certain movies, but not everyone is interested in collecting them all. That said, I do want them all because I’m a completionist. 🙂

11. Calcifer Boheme October 14, 2016 at 12:45 am #

At $20 or less a set, I don’t mind the duplicates. I’ll be getting these two as soon as I can and can’t wait for more to follow. Staggering them is also nice as it gives me time to get these before having to spend more money, though I hope they do more than two a year.

Having procrastinated with previous releases, this works out perfectly for me. 😀

12. Steve October 23, 2016 at 6:42 pm #

Any ideas when The Creature, The Phantom, Dracula & The Invisible Man are due out?

13. B H October 31, 2016 at 7:11 am #

No idea when the others are coming out. Soon I hope.

I got both sets on a sale for 19.99 each. So I don’t mind the repeat movies in each set. I’m sure they did it for those who have a favorite or two monsters and wouldn’t buy 3 or 4 sets to get the 1 o 2 favorites.

I hope they will put a newly remastered Abbott and Costello meet the mummy and …. meet the invisible man in those respective sets when released.

For those who haven’t seen yet, Universal has also released a remastered 2d and 3d version of “It Came from Outer Space” in blu-ray. Right now it is a bestbuy exclusive but is only 7.99. I have the copy and it is well worth it. They did an excellent restoration job and even have the intermission sign in it and it is in the original stereo. Same thing for the Ghost and Mr Chicken.

14. Stephen Morris January 14, 2017 at 11:54 pm #

When are Blu Ray versions of the Mummy , Dracula , and invisible Man coming out ?

15. Plurbus Bilp March 26, 2017 at 12:03 am #

When I cut one and smell it, I grimace and say “Fire bad!” just like the Frankenstein monster.