I’m a total fanboy of Vinegar Syndrome; there’s no hiding that. Aside from Arrow Films, Vinegar Syndrome releases some of my favorite films of all-time. Not only they release the films I’ve loved for years but have turned me on (pun intended) to many films that have quickly become favorites of mine.
Each year during Black Friday, Vinegar Syndrome does a huge sale on their catalogue and they always have something up their sleeves. They have killer deals on their back catalogue, Exploitation TV, Limited Edition films, and most of all their monthly packages. Needless to say, there is something in there for any film fanatic. That said, if you are newer to Vinegar Syndrome it can be a little overwhelming because their catalogue grows excessively each year and you can find yourself in a rabbit hole of never ending sleaze. For our veterans, you already know the titles and have ventured out yourselves and dove into many films that were new to you and took a chance on them.
As a host on The ScreamCast, I’ve received numerous questions about their film and to recommend titles for people that love this eccentric side of cinema. So get your money ready and buy the following if you dare.
- JACK FROST – Remember that Michael Keaton bullshit that came out in 1998? Well, fuck that movie. I’m super excited that Michael Cooney’s Jack Frost is coming to Blu-ray this year from Vinegar Syndrome. This was a favorite back in the rental store days and always a favorite of mine along with the sequel. Buy Here!
- THE UNDERTAKER – The Undertaker never made it to VHS but had some bootlegs through the years. It briefly made an appearance on DVD from Code Red but it was a shotty release and still underseen due to the exclusivity of the label. Thankfully Vinegar Syndrome has put together the definitive release. Buy Here!
- ALL THE SINS OF SODOM – A 60s sexploitation flick directed by Joe Sarno that is one of the kings of erotic film. Highly recommended and it looks beautiful. Buy Here!
- NIGHTMARE SISTERS – Linnea Quigley, Brinke Stevens, and Michelle Bauer. I mean, do I have to say much else? Buy Here!
- HORROR HOUSE ON HIGHWAY 5 – Another rental favorite of mine and still a batshit crazy flick. This is a very passionate and heartfelt production. Sure, it’s goofy and the plot twists are ludicrous but this film has a lot of heart and keeps on giving. Also the interview with Richard Casey is pure solid gold. Buy Here!
- FRIGHTMARE – A real treat for any horror film fan because this film is about horror film fans! A iconic horror film actor is dead and members of a horror film club decide to dig up the recently deceased Conrad Radzoff. Well, as you can probably already tell that, this doesn’t end well for anyone. Buy Here!
- THE TELEPHONE BOOK – I’ve recommended this quite a bit through my time and I will continue to do so. The Telephone Book is a wacky, audacious, and cute sexploitation flick that has some of the most charming and perverted characters I’ve ever seen. Buy Here!
- HOT & SAUCY PIZZA GIRLS – Desiree Cousteau and John Holmes in a sex comedy? Yes please. Desiree Cousteau is stunning and so charismatic on the screen and it’s one of the first hardcore sex comedies that had me laughing hysterically throughout the film. Buy Here!
- AMERICAN DREAMER – Your first choice should be American Dreamer. This documentary explores Dennis Hopper on his journey during the post-production of The Last Movie, his follow up from Easy Rider. There was a lot of pressure on Hopper after his directorial debut and this is an in-depth look at Hopper and his life during that time. Sure, he is probably egging it on a little bit for the cameras but I honestly think it a great character study of someone’s emotions and motivations during such a crucial time of their career. Buy Here!
- WAKEFIELD POOLE’S BIBLE! – Bible! is an extremely ambitious bit of filmmaking. Taking historical tales from the bible and putting a stunning and erotic spin on them and turning these tales into an avantgarde softcore porno. Buy Here!
- RAW FORCE – Cameron Mitchell and Vic Diaz are in this horror martial arts film with zombies, guns, monks, and one hell of a party scene on a boat that will leave you scratching your head. Raw Force is unlike anything you’ll ever see. Buy Here!
- THE DOLL SQUAD – The best way to sum up Ted Mikels is a cross between Russ Meyer and Andy Sidaris. The Doll Squad is Mikels best film in my opinion and has the right mixture for anyone. With beautiful women who kickass, laughable villians, and one hell of a groovy soundtrack, The Doll Squad is one hell of a perfect movie with something for everyone. Oh yeah, Mission: Killfast isn’t that shabby either just the gender roles are reversed with some badass shootouts and action sequences. Buy Here!
- PSYCHIC KILLER – A guy that gets revenge through astral projection? FUCK. YES. Buy Here!
- DOLEMITE – Rudy Ray Moore is Rudy Ray Moore’s biggest fan. That said, Dolemite is a work of art. If you are a bigger fan of Rudy Ray Moore than he is of himself, I suggest checking out Human Tornado, Petey Wheatstraw, and Disco Godfather. Buy Here!
- CHRISTMAS EVIL – With Christmas right around the corner every home needs a copy of Christmas Evil. This is one of the better Christmas horror films because it tackles a little more than just a slice ‘n’ dice slasher. Buy Here!
- MURDER WEAPON & DEADLY EMBRACE – Linnea Quigley again? Yes. Please. David DeCoteau has directed a fuck ton of movies. I’ve never dove into his 1313 or his DTV flicks from 2000 on, but I can speak heavily on behalf of his films from the 80s and 90s. David DeCoteau can do it all. Whether he is making a horror, action, or drama, DeCoteau is always on his game. Murder Weapon and Deadly Embrace is a dip into a crime drama that’s sexy as all get out. Buy Here!
- DON’T GO INTO THE WOODS – James Bryan made this cult “classic” in 1981, and it has had many terrible releases. After some botched releases VS has finally given this film the release it deserves. With wonky music, an Ewok as a killer, and some weird black humor this is a must for any fan of slashers. Buy Here!
- LUST FOR FREEDOM – Just do it. Buy Here!
- NIGHTMARE WEEKEND – Nightmare Weekend. “Holy fuck, what the fuck did I just watch?” is probably the most commonly used phrase after a viewer seeing this film for the first time. Plenty of boobs and gratuitous sex, violence, computer horror, and a puppet for a state of the art security system. Buy Here!
- MADMAN – This is the best that Madman has ever looked. That’s saying a lot since Madman Marz is ugly as fuck. Buy Here!