Today, Arrow Video revealed their slate of releases for the month of June. It’s a lighter load than usual, but the highlight of the bunch more than makes up for it. Street-dated for June 19th and 20th in the UK and North America (respectively) is the return to Blu-ray of Dario Argento’s classic directorial debut, THE BIRD WITH THE CRYSTAL PLUMAGE! The legendary 1969 giallo was previously released on DVD and Blu-ray by Blue Underground. Arrow’s edition comes in a limited set (4000 copies for each side of the Atlantic) loaded with the following features:
• Brand new 4K restoration of the film from the camera negative in its original 2.35:1 aspect ratio, produced by Arrow Video exclusively for this release
• High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentations
• Original mono Italian and English soundtracks (lossless on the Blu-ray Disc)
• English subtitles for the Italian soundtrack
• Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing for the English soundtrack
• New audio commentary by Troy Howarth, author of So Deadly, So Perverse: 50 Years of Italian Giallo Films
• The Power of Perception, a new visual essay on the cinema of Dario Argento by Alexandra Heller-Nicholas, author of Devil’s Advocates: Suspiria and Rape-Revenge Films: A Critical Study
• New analysis of the film by critic Kat Ellinger
• New interview with writer/director Dario Argento
• New interview with actor Gildo Di Marco (Garullo the pimp)
• Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Candice Tripp
• Double-sided fold-out poster featuring
• 6 Lobby Card reproductions
• Limited edition 60-page booklet illustrated by Matthew Griffin, featuring an appreciation of the film by Michael Mackenzie, and new writing by Howard Hughes and Jack Seabroo
Also coming out in June for the UK and North America is Kinji Fukasaku’s yakuza drama, DOBERMAN COP, which is making its home video debut outside of Japan. Bonus material for this one:
•High Definition digital transfer
•High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentations
•Original uncompressed mono audio
•Optional English subtitles
•Beyond the Film: Doberman Cop, a new video appreciation by Fukasaku biographer Sadao Yamane
•New video interview with actor Shinichi “Sonny” Chiba
•New video interview with screenwriter Koji Takada
•Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Chris Malbon
FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Illustrated collector’s book featuring new writing on the films by Patrick Macias
DOBERMAN COP comes out on June 26th (UK) and 27th (US).
The last of the UK/US titles come from producer/director Ovidio Assonitis (BEYOND THE DOOR and THE VISITOR), and it’s his 1981 horror film, MADHOUSE (aka AND WHEN SHE WAS BAD and THERE WAS A LITTLE GIRL). This was one of the movies on Britain’s “Video Nasty” list. The extras are:
•Brand new 2K restoration from the original camera negative
•High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition presentations
•Original Stereo Audio (Uncompressed PCM on the Blu-ray)
•Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
•Brand new audio commentary with The Hysteria Continues
•Brand new interviews with cast and crew
•Alternate Opening Titles
•Theatrical Trailer, newly transferred in HD
•Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Marc Schoenbach
FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Booklet featuring new writing on the film.
MADHOUSE will arrive June 12th (UK) and 13th (US).
Finally for the month of June is a UK-only title: KLOWN.
From Arrow’s Facebook page:
“Comedians and TV personalities Frank Hvam and Casper Christensen (hosts of the Danish version of Shooting Stars) play extreme versions of themselves in the Curb Your Enthusiasm-alike comedy of embarrassment.
Based on the hit sitcom, KLOWN finds Frank on the verge of the fatherhood. So how better to prove his paternal credentials than ‘borrowing’ his awkward 13-year-old nephew to accompany him and Casper on their annual tour de pussy? What follows is far too crude and outrageous to describe here!
Imagine a Scandinavian relative of THE INBETWEENERS and THE HANGOVER with a dash of Lars von Trier at his most playfully transgressive and you’re getting close to the shocking hilarity of KLOWN.”
•High definition Blu-ray (1080p)
•5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio
•Optional English subtitles
•Commentary by director Mikkel Nørgaard and writer-actors Frank Hvam and Casper Christensen
•Klown: It’s a Jungle Down There, an episode from the original television series, co-written by Lars von Trier
•Klown from Behind, a ‘making of’ documentary
•Crafting ‘The Willie’, a featurette on the film’s prosthetics
•Inside Castello Alleycat, scenes from film’s brothel set
•Alternative opening sequence
•Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Danny Hellman
FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Illustrated collector’s booklet featuring new writing by Sergio Angelini.
KLOWN will be available for our UK friends on June 5th.